APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sept. 8, 2017 @ 5pm
The Kamloops Arts Council’s Crossing Bridges Arts Outreach is an interactive multidisciplinary collaboration among the arts community, social service agencies and the at-risk communities they serve. Crossing Bridges delivers high-quality arts workshops to individuals who are vulnerable, at-risk, in crisis and in recovery. Crossing Bridges participants are provided a chance to explore their creativity and build their self-confidence in a supportive environment. The program employs local artists and art therapists, giving them the opportunity to develop arts workshops that will advance participants’ personal and social development. Our philosophy: Each person, no matter how marginalized, should have an opportunity to access and creatively express themselves, experience a sense of connectedness and a chance to be a contributing member of their community.
The program currently works with the YWCA Women’s Shelter, Phoenix Centre, Osprey Place, New Life Community, Kamloops Immigrant Services, ASK Wellness, the MS Society, the Chris Rose Therapy Centre for Autism, the Kamloops Brain Injury Association, and others. For more information, visit the Crossing Bridges Outreach page at www.kamloopsarts.ca.
The Crossing Bridges instructor will provide multimedia arts workshops with the KAC’s community partners. The instructor will work with partner agency staff onsite and will report to the KAC Outreach Coordinator.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Undergo training with KAC and orientation with client partner(s)
- Develop and prepare for arts workshops (contracts stipulates a set amount of paid prep time with each position)
- Teach arts workshops (art workshops vary in length from 1.5-3.0 hrs, and are offered on both a long and short term basis)
- Liaise with Outreach Coordinator, KAC and program partner(s)
Details of hire: Average of 10-15 hours per week – including paid prep time (schedule to be determined)
- Practising artist who can teach at least 3 mediums (e.g. painting, clay, printmaking, photography, writing, music, theatre, dance)
- Minimum 2 years’ teaching / instructing experience
- Some knowledge of / experience working with children, youth, adults and/or seniors at risk and in crisis
- Passion for the arts, and vision for role of the arts in growth and healing
- Adaptable and resourceful
- Effective communication skills
- Experience in the social services field, social work, art therapy and/or counselling skills would be an asset
To apply for this position, email a cover letter and resume to Rachel Casponi, Outreach Coordinator at [email protected] by 5:00pm September 8, 2017. Subject line should read “Application: Crossing Bridges Instructor.” No phone calls please. We regret that only those who are shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.